Cougar Accessible Transportation Services (CATS)
The Cougar Accessible Transportation Services (CATS) is a courtesy service funded through student fees. CATS is a small program that offers accessible transportation on campus to students with permanent or temporary mobility disabilities/conditions. Rides are scheduled through the Access Center on an individualized first-come, first-served basis. The hours of operation are between 7:30-5:00 Monday-Friday. CATS operates two wheelchair accessible vans and one Ford Fusion. CATS employs one full-time Coordinator/Driver and between one and three part-time student drivers, depending on requests for services. CATS does not offer on-call services nor a “fixed route” shuttle service. The CATS service area is limited to campus facilities and Greek housing. CATS does not provide transportation to or from any other locations (e.g. off-campus non-WSU housing, community businesses).
The goal of this service is to provide all requested rides. However, there will be times where demand exceeds the capabilities of the service. When this occurs, students are encouraged to seek alternate transportation options. Accommodations or alternative class options may also be available; students are encouraged to speak with their instructors or their Access Center advisor.Request A Ride
How to Get Started:
- Stop in (Washington Building 217), give us a call at (509) 432-4875, or e-mail the Van Scheduler at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you will need CAT services and to give us your contact information. We require a valid WSU e-mail address to use for official correspondence.
- Provide documentation or a doctor’s note stating that you will require accessible transportation services. You can provide this to us via fax, mail, or you can give it to the van driver during your first week of rides. Without proper documentation, any scheduled rides will be discontinued after the first week.
- Submit a schedule of all your requested rides using the schedule submission form at https://accesscenter.wsu.edu/campus-access/cat-van/cat-schedule-submission-form/. We need to know when and where you need rides. When you put together your schedule, include ALL rides, including return trips. You may need to submit more than once to include all trips desired. Please Note: Only the Transportation Scheduler approves rides and any changes in your ride schedule. The Scheduler will confirm scheduled rides via email and any changes to rides.
- Scheduling regular, on-going rides: Please provide the scheduler at least 2 business days’ notice. Schedule requests submitted after 3pm will be addressed the following business day. Rides are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. The sooner you submit your ride request, the more likely you are to receive your rides.
- Scheduling changes to regular ride schedule: Any schedule change requests must be submitted by email to email@example.com the day before the requested change. Since rides are scheduled on a first-come first-served basis, you might not get the time you desire. The Scheduler may offer you slightly different times or locations.
- Requesting same day rides or (or changes to same-day ride schedule): We require notification at least 3 business hours before the requested ride. Riders are asked to call (and not email) the Scheduler to request new rides or to change scheduled ride: 509-432-4875. Please know that the driver may not be able to accommodate your request due to the day’s schedule.
- Keep your contact information current: Inform the Scheduler of any changes in your contact information.
CATS Operation Procedures:
- Be on time and at the scheduled location for your rides. We have a 10 minute window between most rides, and we will at most wait 5 minutes before marking you as a no-show. This 5 minute wait is NOT guaranteed, however, due to scheduling requirements of the day. We do not call to remind students that we are waiting.
- If you are unable to make your scheduled ride time, call the Scheduler’s cellphone at (509) 432-4875 at least 30 minutes prior to either cancelling or rescheduling your ride. We cannot guarantee that you will arrive to class on time when this occurs, however.
- No Show Procedures:
- If you miss a ride without prior notification, it will be marked as a no-show. However, call the driver to confirm any other rides that day. If the driver doesn’t hear from you, all subsequent rides for that day will be cancelled.
- If you accumulate 3 no-shows, your service will be suspended until you and CAT Services come to an agreement on how you’ll be present for your rides in the future.
- If you have a 4th no-show, your service will be terminated, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- Transporting friends: You may not bring friends along for the ride. An exception may be made for those whose injuries or disabilities prevent them from carrying their own books to class. Your doctor’s note must reflect this need, and only one additional passenger will be allowed.
- No open containers of food or drink are allowed in the vehicles.
If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the CATS program, please contact the Transportation Department.