WSU Access Center Awards Recognition Ceremony
The Access Center at WSU supports equal access and opportunity for students with disabilities by removing barriers to the living and learning environment, promoting self-advocacy and providing support to foster student learning and engagement in all opportunities available at the university.
Barriers to learning are removed with the help from supportive faculty, staff, and administrators who recognize the importance of flexibility with how curricula goals and objectives are met and the importance of support services for students throughout the WSU system.
We also recognize and acknowledge the Access Center students who are tireless self-advocates and disability advocates. These students help make WSU a better place for all students with disabilities.
The Access Center Awards Ceremony celebrates and honors the achievements and contributions that WSU system staff, faculty, and students make to the disability community. We also recognize individuals within WSU who ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion are an integral part of their mission while at WSU.
General Student Awards
- Nominees for General Student Awards are strong self-advocates and passionate leaders within the WSU community. They work closely with the Access Center and their faculty to make sure their access needs are met.
2020-2021 Access Center Student of the Year Award
- Nominees for this award must first be nominated for the Access Center General Student Awards. The Access Center Student of the Year Awardee will be selected by a committee comprised of Access Center staff across the WSU system. Nominees for this award are considered passionate leaders within the disability community, excellent students, and tireless self-advocates. Nominees for this award can be a graduate or undergraduate student.
General Faculty Awards
- Nominees for General Faculty Awards are strong advocates for students with disabilities. They work closely with students to make sure their accommodation needs are met and make their students feel heard, seen, and respected.
2020-2021 Access Center Faculty of the Year Award
- Nominees for this award must first be nominated for the Access Center General Faculty Award. The Access Center Faculty of the Year Awardee will be selected by a committee comprised of Access Center staff across the WSU system. Nominees for this award are strong allies and advocates for Access Center students in their class/es, they show an understanding of the need for flexibility as it relates to equal access and the demonstration of student knowledge, they implement universal design structures in their class/es, and they also show support for disability awareness activities on campus. Faculty from all WSU campuses are eligible for this award.
- General Staff Awards: Nominees for the General Staff Awards are passionate disability advocates on campus. They work closely with students and the Access Center to promote disability awareness and inclusivity across the WSU system.
- 2020-2021 Access Center Staff of the Year Award: Nominees for this award must first be nominated for the Access Center General Staff Awards. The Access Center Staff of the Year Awardee will be selected by a committee comprised of Access Center staff across the WSU system. Nominees for this award show strong character and integrity, they are strong advocates for students, faculty, and staff with disabilities on campus, they actively identify access needs on campus and work tirelessly to address these needs, and they work with the Access Center to provide inclusive disability awareness events on campus.
Schedule for the Evening
|5:30pm to 5:45pm||Introduction by Provost Elizabeth Chilton|
|5:45pm to 6:00pm||Welcome Address: Meredyth Goodwin & Davi Kallman|
|6:00pm to 7:00pm||Awardee Slideshow and Announcement of the Year of Awards|
|7:00pm to 7:15pm||Recognition of Student Leaders: DSAAC and DAP|
|7:15pm to 7:45pm||DAP Initiation with Roberto Morales|
|7:45pm to 8:00pm||Closing Remarks by Mark Beattie, Associate Vice Chancellor, Everett|