New Student Procedures
A student who wishes to receive accommodations at WSU should complete the following steps:
- Submit an application into MyAccess
- Review the WSU Access Center Documentation Guidelines.
- Submit documentation of a disability or chronic medical condition that affects the student’s ability to access WSU.
- Documentation can either be uploaded through MyAccess or directly to the Access Center via fax at 509-335-8511 or via mail to WSU Access Center, 217 Washington Building, PO Box 642322, Pullman, WA 99164-2322. It can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at our office in-person.
- Be sure to include the student’s name, student ID number, and contact information with the submitted documentation.
- Upon receiving a student’s application and documentation, the Access Center will contact the student to schedule an intake appointment with an Access Advisor. The intake appointment can be completed in-person or over the phone.
- The Access Advisor will review the student’s documentation prior to the intake appointment.
- During the intake appointment, the student and the Access Advisor will discuss the student’s barriers to access, how they affect the student in the educational and campus environment, their previous use of accommodations (if any), and the student’s current needs as they relate to equal access.
- Together, the student and the Access Advisor will determine the accommodations that are reasonable and appropriate for the current semester.
- The Access Advisor will then approve the accommodations and an accommodation form will be generated. The Access Advisor will explain specific accommodation procedures and student responsibilities.
- Once the accommodations are approved, the student will then request specific accommodations they need for each course through MyAccess. A letter will then be electronically generated and sent to each instructor notifying them of the student's accommodations.
- After the letter is sent, it is the student's responsibility to meet with each instructor within two weeks to review and arrange accommodations. Students are advised to meet with each instructor during their office hours. NOTE: Instructors expect students to meet with them after letters of notification are received. If students choose not to meet with instructors, many accommodations will not be put into place.
- New Students are encouraged to apply for services early, as accommodations cannot be put in place retroactively.