ACCESS CENTER SPRING MID-SEMESTER NEWSLETTER
IMPORTANT TESTING REMINDERS:
- REGISTERING FOR AN EXAM? Remember—we need one week’s notice. Be sure to bring in your completed testing form one week prior to testing day, so we are ready for you.
- REMIND INSTRUCTORS: Send a reminder email to your instructors three days prior to the exam, reminding them to send all testing materials to the Proctoring Center. Be sure to copy Access.Testing@wsu.edu on this email.
- LEAVE CELL PHONES IN LOCKERS (or at front desk): Absolutely NO cell phones are allowed in the testing environment. If you are found with one, we have no option but to notify your instructor. Please don’t risk it.
- FINALIZE YOUR FINALS SCHEDULE: Now is the time to let the Proctoring Center know what finals you will be taking here and when.
THANKS: We want to take this time to THANK all the students who follow the procedures for testing. We know there are a lot of steps and we appreciate those of you who “do it all right!” It helps things to run smoothly.
REGISTERING FOR SUMMER COURSES?
Please make an appointment to meet with your Access Advisor to renew your accommodations.
LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD PEER MENTORS:
The Access Center is establishing a peer mentor program for Fall 2014 incoming students. If this opportunity interests you, please contact Meredyth Goodwin as soon as possible: email@example.com. We are looking for students with disabilities who have successfully navigated the challenges of college life, who have natural helping and “people person” skills, and who have 1-4 hours per week to devote to helping others.
NEED WRITING ASSISTANCE?
The Access Center has partnered with the English department to provide writing assistance to Access Center students who experience challenges with writing. If you would like to explore this 1:1 opportunity, please let your Access Advisor know as soon as possible.
SOFTWARE THAT READS TEXTS OUTLOUD -- GOT KURZWEIL?
For those of you who want to learn how to use Kurzweil (text to speech software), make an appointment today to meet with Gabriel Morales, our in-house resident expert. CALL 509-335-3417 to make an appointment or email firstname.lastname@example.org. His hours: M/W: 12-4, T/TH: 10-2, F: 12-3.
DO YOU RECEIVE ALTERNATIVE PRINT AS AN ACCOMMODATION?
If so, PLEASE call Ashley Jones, our Alt Print Preceptor, to give her your courses and book lists as soon as you register for summer and fall courses. Staff will work on your alternative print needs over the summer. Email Ashley at: Access.Books@wsu.edu.
TOO MUCH TO DO AND NOT ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT?
You might benefit from coaching in time management, organization, strategic scheduling or study methods. Your Access Advisor can help! Call today to make an appointment. Students who work on these issues tell us the strategies really make a difference!
HOW ELSE CAN YOUR ACCESS ADVISOR HELP?
Not only does your Access Advisor complete accommodation forms and review procedures with students, they also help with:
- Writing letters of reference/support
- Addressing difficult/challenging situations:
- Analyzing current course load, current accommodations and exploring alternate accommodations
- Referral to appropriate campus resources
- Academic Coaching:
- Strategic scheduling/time management/organization
- LAST DAY TO WITHDRAW FROM A COURSE w/ a W: April 18
- REGISTRATION for SUMMER: March 3
- REGISTRATION for FALL:
Graduate Students April 15
Seniors April 15-16
Juniors April 17-18
Sophomores April 21-22
Freshmen April 23-24
IMPORTANT SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION:
College Affordability: A Guide for Students with Disabilities