INCOMING STUDENTS: WELCOME TO WSU AND THE ACCESS CENTER!
- To secure accommodations for a disability or medical condition:
- Submit documentation of your disability to the Access Center office, using one of the following methods:
- Fax: 509-335-8511
- Scan and email documents to: Access.Center@wsu.edu
- Mail: Access Center, 217 Washington Building, PO Box 642322, Pullman, WA 99164-2322
- In person: Access Center, 217 Washington Building (same building as Health and Wellness Services)
- Schedule an hour intake appointment to meet with an Access Advisor as soon as possible:
- Call: 509-335-3417
- Bring your documentation with you if you haven’t sent it earlier
- What to expect during this appointment: Your Access Advisor will ask you questions about how your disability/medical condition impacts you in an educational environment, how you learn, and what accommodations you received from your previous schools. Together, we will discuss appropriate accommodations and procedures on how to receive accommodations.
INCOMING STUDENTS: GOT ACCESS?
If you are curious about how the Access Center can help you, attend one of the two following presentations during WEEK OF WELCOME!
Thursday, August 21
3:10-4:00 or 4:10-5:00, CUE 203
LEVELING THE PLAYING FIELD: EQUAL ACCESS TO EDUCATION
Everyone learns differently! If you are a student that benefits from certain academic adjustments, accommodations, services or technology to access either information or the classroom, the Access Center can assist. The Access Center serves over 700 WSU students each year. If you are a student with a disability or chronic medical condition it's important to learn about the services and accommodations that will support your academic success.
RETURNING STUDENTS: WELCOME BACK!
- To Renew Accommodations:
- Choose one of the following two methods:
- Stop by the Access Center to meet with front desk personnel to receive your forms. (See NOTE below.)
- Call the front desk at 509-335-3417 to let them know you wish to renew your accommodations. In two days, your forms will be ready for you to pick up at the front desk. (See NOTE below.)
- Meet with an Access Advisor: If you need to change your accommodations or have concerns about your accommodations, you will be asked to meet with an Access Advisor either during their walk-in hours or to make an appointment.
NOTE: If you have been granted accommodations on a “grace period” basis due to incomplete documentation, if you are an on-campus student taking any on-line courses, or if you have Flexible Attendance as an approved accommodation, you will need to meet with an Access Advisor.
All students are encouraged to communicate with their Access Advisor during the first month of the semester to ensure that your accommodations are working for you. In-person meetings, email exchange or phone calls are great ways to communicate.
RETURNING STUDENTS: RECEIVE RECOGNITION FOR YOUR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS
Delta Alpha Pi is an honor society for students with disabilities who maintain an above-average cumulative grade point average. The Delta Alpha Pi Beta Tau Chapter is the first and only chapter in the State of Washington. If you are an undergraduate student at WSU with a minimum of 24 credits and a cumulative GPA 3.1 or higher or a graduate student with a minimum of 18 credits and a GPA of 3.3 or higher, you are welcome to become a member in the fall. Watch your WSU email next semester for an invitation to join. If you are interested in participating in Alpha Pi Beta Tau Honor Society please mention that interest to your Access Advisor or contact Access.Center@wsu.edu.
ALL STUDENTS: PROMOTE DISABILITY AWARENESS!
Please consider joining the DAA (Disability Awareness Association) this fall. Each semester, the group meets once a week at the Access Center. The organization NEEDS YOUR HELP to plan awareness events and activities. The organization makes Disability Awareness Week one of the most dynamic activities on campus each year. Contact Kenneth Albright, the DAA president, at email@example.com
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU THIS YEAR!